All of us at some point in our lives, have found someone other than our partner’s attractive and might have had sexual thoughts about them. Cheating on your spouse or partner is very common in modern day relationships. If you are, or have considered, entering into an extramarital affair, here could be some of the reasons why.
1. Lack of sexual satisfaction in your primary relationship. This was the most common reason cited. Both women and men who enter into affairs are hoping to improve their sex lives. They may enjoy many other mutual activities but, for whatever reason, the sex is not working out for them.
2. Lack of emotional satisfaction in your primary relationship. Seeking emotional intimacy can be nearly as compelling a reason to have an affair as can seeking physical intimacy. Participants who stated the need for emotional closeness in an affair felt they were lacking a connection to their primary partners.
3. Wanting emotional validation from someone else. Being appreciated is a key factor in the emotional connection that partners feel toward each other. Partners may grow apart and, as they do, fail to acknowledge the needs that both have in their relationship.
4. Falling out of love with your partner. Plain and simple, but a tough one to swallow.
5. Falling in love with someone new. There are chemical reactions in our bodies that produce hormones changes that lead us to falling in love. These hormone changes can be addictive in some people. The hormones responsible for these feelings of love and excitement are: testosterone, oestrogen, adrenaline, dopamine and serotonin. With this concotion of super powerful hormones alone it is not surprising that you may start to cheat on your spouse.
6. Your wanting to seek revenge. In a relationship that is already suffering, the desire to hurt a partner who is (or is perceived as) cheating seems to raise the stakes significantly from mere lack of intimacy.
7. You’re curious and want new experiences. People who cited this reason felt that they wanted something new, this motivation went beyond curiosity and into some type of contest to measure their sexual prowess. It might have been less complicated for them to compete on the tennis court or golf course, but the allure of someone and something new led them to choose this particular form of challenge.
As Featured On: